If you’ve come to this page it’s likely that something on our website isn’t making sense or you’re looking for an answer that just can’t be found. We’re sorry for your frustration and really want you to get the information you want.
We’re steadily building a list of frequently asked questions. If your question about the website isn’t answered here, please feel free to use our Contact Us form.
1) Why can’t I read a full newsletter article? As a website visitor you have access to almost the entire website: News stories; book reviews; reader tips; and Steve and Annette’s Blog — but only paying subscribers have access to our archive of newsletter articles, exclusive book excerpts, scriber downloads and the option of asking up to four personal finance questions each year. If you want to purchase access you can do so here. If you don’t want to purchase a website subscription you can truly enjoy and glean lots of information from the free sections of the site.
2) I don’t want to pay for a subscription online. What other options do I have? You can pay by check. Just go through the subscription process and select pay by check. We will be notified of your subscription and when your check arrives, we’ll activate your account. You will be notified by email that your account has been activated.
3) Is Economides really your last name? This is one of the most common questions we are asked — the truth is that we did not change our last name. It’s Greek and is pronounced “Econo meet us.” It comes from the Greek root work oy-kon-om’-os which is translated as The manager of a household or of household affairs (esp. a steward, manager, superintendent). Greek: status name for a steward, someone who managed a property, particularly church-owned land, from ancient Greek Oikos ‘household’ + nomos ‘law’, ‘rule’. Other experts say it means “Son of the Steward.”
Whatever the real translation is, we’re all about teaching and helping people manage the possessions, time and money they have to their best advantage.
4) How did you become “America’s Cheapest Family?” In 2004 when we first appeared on Good Morning America, host Charlie Gibson called us America’s Cheapest Family . . . and it stuck. Honestly, while this name has opened untold doors in the media for us to share our message of financial hope with millions of people, we truly prefer the title of MoneySmart Family. And that’s why we built this website – so that we could encourage you and millions of others to become MoneySmart!
5) What is the HomeEconomiser Newsletter? We started publishing the HomeEconomiser Newsletter in 2003. It was 8 pages long and distributed 10 times each year in print and via email .pdf. Our books are made up of some of the articles that we wrote for the newsletter and much content that was written exclusively for the books. In 2009 as we were writing our third book, it became clear to us that our schedule was too full with media to promote previous books, writing and editing a new book, maintaining a website and raising a very busy family. Something had to go. We revamped our website to include all of the previous six years of newsletter articles (more than 300 of them), dozens of downloadable forms, guides and resources, all of the reader tips and book reviews. The articles now reside in the Member Archive – which we add to a few times each year. You can purchase access here.
6) What is the MoneySmart Family Email Newsletter? This is a free resource full of book reviews, scriber tips, questions & answers, book excerpts, and money saving tips and articles that we have written. It is sent out twice each month, around the 1st and the 15th of each month. You can sign up here.